Find ideas for new Xbox One apps, app features or requested changes here

Support subtitles in Xbox One Media Player

Support *.smi, *.srt files in Xbox One Media Player.
It is good for non-English speaking people.
They need subtitle.
Also, It is good for English speaking pepple because they can watch non-English movies with subtitles.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea posted by SoulBlazeX, NSC DIABLO, and LaMantaAsesina, who specifically requests .SRT files. Thanks everyone!]

5,811 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JINGUN shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • thkaal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting for the subtitles support. Funny how it doesn't work on anything I stream from my pc so therefore, not supported.

• Effet Bouchon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Media Player support the use of subtitles in movies?
    Unfortunately, Media Player does not currently support the use of subtitles in movies.

thx a lot bra

• yannopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please REMOVE the Completed status, this is definitely not available. The link you provide clearly states it is NOT supported. The functionality is NOT AVAILABLE. External subtitles in the format .SRT or any other format are clearly not supported. Closed captioning (CC) is supported by XBOX One but this is not the functionality requested.

• PlaTyPuS XO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mister Retr0

How can you say that this is completed? If I go on your link, it says:

"Does Media Player support the use of subtitles in movies?
    Unfortunately, Media Player does not currently support the use of subtitles in movies."

And I don't think subtitles support is given to third party apps and this is a shame because a lot of us are using other apps to play movies (like Plex or Kodi for example).

• keymon cete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The XBox Media Player does not support subtitles, and that response is misleading should be deleted.

But who cares, if VLC is supported in XBox and it is in the Store!

Simply download VLC and the subtitles work as charm meanwhile the subtitles file is called the same than the video file. In combination with servio media server (or any other) it works perfectly!

• Drakken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok Guys I confirm to all of you that this WORKS FINE!. You just pick the subtitle from the folder of your chosing and when it's marked and ready just press SELECT to switch to the OPEN option and that's it!.
    Today I'm watching Kong Skull Island with my own subtitle.

• thkaal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mister Retr0 lies. That link says that subtitles are NOT supported. And I can second that. I click on choose the subtitle file and it closes the menu. No matter how many times I try to select a file, it won't open the folder to select the file.

• JoshuaAmole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely would be a great option to have for those who run their media collections through the media player/file explorer!

• FurryContainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great support microsoft. Admin's incredibly misinformed response is almost a year old and still no subtitle option

• SillyCalf772851 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone who reads this and hasn't realized xbox one now has vlc media player and that does support .srt I found out about 5 minutes ago and tested if definitely works.

• jan herko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, a total hoax from MS by announcing there has been an update in Media Player app, which brings subs support...just watched a movie today, some 4gb BDrip, the player did NOT show me any option how to put a subtitle on...though it was there, in the same folder on usb, with the same name as movie where the hell is your subs support, that you claimed should be there in April 2016???

• Seiishu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Direct message to the admin Mister Retr0 - You said Xbox One Media Player app now supports subtitles, and linked to that page.
    When we go to that page, last Q/A is:
    "Does Media Player support the use of subtitles in movies?"

... and the answer to that same question is:
    "Unfortunately, Media Player does not currently support the use of subtitles in movies."

So, how is this completed, when not even Q/A is updated?

• Amarox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is indeed NOT completed. It needs a fix and dvd subtitle settings should apply to .srt files.
    Thank you.

• Sodyl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this has been marked as completed when it fact is not true!

• iHarvestDespair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also guys, It works for SRT files located in the SAME folder as the media your are playing with the SAME NAME as the file but with the .srt extension. Having no problems.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base