Find ideas for new Xbox One apps, app features or requested changes here

Snap in a window (Picture in Picture)

Snap mode is great but I find that it takes up more space than needed for just watching a video. Something like Picture in Picture (PiP) mode would be ideal so that way you could have Live TV or Netflix snapped to a corner on the screen of your choosing so it does not get in the way of the games HUD while still having the game you are playing full screen.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea posted by Madhattre. Thanks everyone!]

1,198 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MandosisMandosis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GateFatherGateFather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We get PIP in oneguide while looking at the tv listings. Why can't I get the same when playing a game?

• Fan 2020Fan 2020 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Options are always nice, so the Snap feature should return. Having the option to make a picture in picture display would also be a win for others.

• Mentuhotep1Mentuhotep1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A replacement for snap wouldnt just be "cool" but is an absolute requirement as snap was an advertised component of the Xbox One. The fact that you stole it makes you liars and should be legally actionable.

• R4NIERIR4NIERI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that Snap mode was ripped off, consider bring PiP overlay to video apps, Like YouTube, TV and others. The new update is a great, but remove the ability of whatch a video within gaming is a huge mistake. I chose Xbox over PS4 just because the multitasking of play and apps. Today a loose one more feature that drive my option for Xbox One instead PS4. The firs one was Kinect Gestures and now snap. I can't use only my Xbox to watch a game guide in Youtube any more. I can't follow a video guide in trueachievement app. Xbox is now useless to multitasking as it was sold to me. I'm really really sad about this decision. I hope Mike Ybarra can consider this request. We pay for a console that don't do multitasking anymore. Today I stop to indicate Xbox One as a console to buy to the people who ask me about a console system. I'm really really feel betrayed about Xbox team about this decision.

• multiplaykingmultiplayking commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that you removed the snap feature would it be cool when u add a picture in picture feature as a kind replacement for the snap feature

• KrisRogosKrisRogos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to multitask was one of the main reasons I've bought an Xbox!, I love to play games and watch videos at the same time before going to bed. Plase, bring PIP, Snap or some other way of multitasking!

• Its Markie MarkIts Markie Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. It's the logical way forward. I've said this from day 1 of xbox release, but my concerns fell on deaf ears as I had a very sore throat and my trombone was dented.

• SoggyBottomBoy7SoggyBottomBoy7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the snap feature is lackluster at best, well particularly in regards for video. I think PiP is an obvious step forward. I doubt the snap feature was designed to accommodate the viewing media content alongside gaming as it does such a poor job. PiP or allowing the user to resize the video window would greatly improve the functionality. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in allowing the user to both consumer media and gaming concurrently which is currently rudimentary at best. I really hope that microsoft looks to improve this functionality.

• HixBotHixBot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new sidebar loads without squeezing the picture. Yet all snap apps squeeze the picture. We want app developers to have overlay abilities to keep their app in the foreground at their desired window size and location without squeezing the main screen. Useful for TV and video apps to drop a video window in user selectable location (four corners). Seems obvious to me.

• jimmythegreebjimmythegreeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be the next step forward. You give us the ability to watch tv while playing games, but in doing so the gaming screen is hugely reduced. Picture in Picture (PiP) is not a new revolutionary idea and has been around for years. In fact xbox already use PiP in the One Guide when viewing tv listings in full screen.

• Twenty001Twenty001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have a YouTube clip displayed as a picture in picture (PIP) would be great. Playing a music video or a game playthrough for example.

• jablocanasjablocanas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When snapping TV, allow picture in picture instead of taking up 1/6 of the screen!

• rahatmainirahatmaini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video based apps (such as Skype, Netflix, and TV) don't need 1/3 of the horizontal screen real estate!!! Give us picture in picture. Oh and please fix the lag when snapping a video source next to a game (especially in HDMI pass through)

• FireCulexFireCulex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome with something like Twitch, I dont need to see the chat.

← Previous 1 3 4

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base