Find ideas for new Xbox One apps, app features or requested changes here

Ability to develop universal apps

Visual Studio allows developers to write a Universal app for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, let's have the Xbox be another platform for developers to publish apps to, leveraging the power of Kinect and the largest screen in the house.

3,690 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

techAU shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

89 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AaaKuuu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noooo!!! That's a sop for developers, not a benefit for gamers. There's too much focus on a universal interface at the expense of the gaming experience as it is!

• Joe the Coder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QUICK! Everyone start voting this up! Apparently, if you don't upvote features that Microsoft already announced they're working on, they'll table them because no one is voting for them. Example being the DVR functionality that was announced to come out in 2016...and was just recently tabled.

• XEPlushMedal697 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 apps should be available on the Xbox One. MSN apps, photos and others great apps should be made available on the Xbox. Also apps such as Groove Music, Movies & TV need a major overhaul for the Xbox. They should be on par with the desktop and mobile versions of Windows 10.

• CopyLeft7212 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This option would be even more interesting if Microsoft opened and maintained a service that allowed it's users to develop and download apps which were explicitly for the XB1 instead of worrying about cross-compilation issues that may occur when trying to make everything backwards compatible. Google app store, meet you newest competitor. People with hardware that know how to use it.

• Amarok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even just having the Windows Store version of VLC on the XB1 would allow a vast improvement over the Media Player app.

• kiliano reeves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its embarrasing, that you get tons of apps like spotify, local news sites, tv stations libraries, dozens of games, if you buy a 20 bucks fire tv stick from amazon, while microsofts 500€ console is stuck at around 20 apps, minus 10 which are completely uninteresting and boring for europeans like baseball + football apps, or services like hulu which are unavailable in germany.

+ an 11 years old gaming console like 360 still has more and countless apps, which are still unavailable for xbox one.

why no pushing of windows 10 universal apps for all windows platforms to finally increase the total number of available apps?

• SUPRAx321 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally also feel it would be a wise business decision to make the controller enabled games on the Windows Store compatible with the X1. Not only will it increase the size of the library but it will also encourage use of the Windows store. This in turn would probably also help sell the new Microsoft phones and probably sway some new customers into buying Xboxes.

• SudsiestElm52 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes many people buy xbox one controller for that reason yes we want dirver for windows rt surface 2 for best life and future.

• Navcom360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there was a promise about compatible "windows 10" apps not just multi platform with some games, so the xbox one should be able now to get in. in the same market app and so able to install and work with those apps and games. this is because there it is better chance to improve and customize the gamer-user experience with third partners apps like for example "VLC" for media content which have more complexity and specific uses or even by giving the Xone the chance to be used like for a more advanced user with office, learning, social media apps there are also some exclusive apps that changes by region like "Foxplay" for latin america which are not available on actual Xone Market Store. making it a more real choice "All in One".

• FRESHxREMIX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

since its the furture of gaming and xbox one has a pc set up inside the console and the new dashboard windows 10 just came out and you guys at microsoft work for windows phones you guys at microsoft should have a windows app store on xbox one it makes it better. it whould increese sales and this console u guys said it posed to be all in one entertaniment system so u guys at microsoft should make it happen

• DJMorpheus2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, all :-)

I love the interface since NXOE, reminds me of the XBOX app on Windows 10, which I'm guessing was the idea ;-).

Anyway, I don't use the XBOX streaming function on Windows 10 much, but I would LOVE to see it the other way around... Allowing Windows 10 apps (and/or other games/desktop apps) to be run on XBOX One.

I have 140+ apps/games on Windows 10 (from the Store), plus Steam/Origin games. Being able to use these on XBOX One would be a BIG bonus and make a massive difference to users of both Windows 10 and XBOX One.

A console for even users who don't play consoles that much... And Mr. Microsoft, a competitor for Steam Link (which I am considering buying for the very purpose of playing PC games on my TV ;-).

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Kind regards.

DJM.

• martinsuchan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, Windows Platform Developer, this is the most awaited feature on Xbox One, the possibility to run my UWP Store apps on Xbox One.
    Note this feature was already promised on Build 2014 conference and now it's Fall 2015 and it's still not possible.

• BigDadK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since NXE is Windows 10 Based we should be able to install universal apps in the Microsoft Store.. Give the Xbox One full access to Windows 10 store.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base