Find ideas for new Xbox One apps, app features or requested changes here

App for Donating CPU/GPU Cycles to Cancer & AIDS Research

Please add an app or feature that will allow us to donate spare CPU/GPU cycles to the research of illnesses such as Cancer and AIDs.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3nf75r/are_there_plans_to_let_us_donate_extra_cpugpu/

695 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TheJackah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • UD NO REMORSE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ? for this is why not since the PS3 used to allow this This can be a really useful if it was added then I could leave my system on the app while downloading updates, apps and games; while I got get a coffee and have lunch and work on my home work; all the while this application uses or extra not used (FLOPS) of our CPU and GPU of our system with the help of our ram, to run calculations on and for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of Game Consoles like Sony's PS3 and may be the Xbox series of game consoles and PCs owned by hundreds of thousands of volunteers from all over the world to help contribute to the success of this project. So on that note then the Microsoft corporation then could be among the top contributors to this very helpful historic healthcare project of this century, that the world will ever see.

• LTS2000DS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if it were an app that I could purchase, I'd buy it. Show all the processing on the screen, break it down into various stats. Make it look interesting. 'World Community Grid' is a easy to use version of BOINC. Make it happen, please. Why waste clock cycles?

• N0name9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, I already do this with my phone through an alarm program and it'd be nice to do it a bit more with my xbox that is already almost always on.

• Rikito378 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be onboard for this if it just happened while my console was "off" in the instant on mode, similar to a background update.

• GIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folding@Home mostly went towards Alzheimer's research IIRC. It took ~12 years to get results which they said took around 10 years anyway. It would be nice but it's a feature very few users would actually use and would take a lot of design time.

• pongored81 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could easily run while you aren't gaming, stuff like streaming videos you know. I'm just not sure of the effectiveness

• Vahliya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though the Xbox One GPU isn't too great, I'm down for this, even if I lose a bit of performance while I'm playing. Imagine the whole Xbox Live Network donating cycles to different causes, it would be brilliant, and would bring up the reputation of gamers, gaming, and Microsoft *wink* Big bonus for MS, if you do this *wink*.

• yrulaughing418 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could be cool as long as it doesn't impact game performance
    I have World Community Grid running on my PC almost constantly

• EG HELL REIGN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the idea of an outside source having access to my machine....that I paid for....and has private info of me on it.

• Incitare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just need folding/etc to make a universal app really right? Now that the xbox one could support universal apps.

• PointBlankX79 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A million times this. We could have the app work while the console is in instant on, so that background updates and such would still occur while we aren't using our consoles.

• Found new name commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I remember back in the day Sony had the Folding@home app and later Playstation Life for this. I bought two ps3's to run those. I would use them to play system link games with my friends and when I wasn't using them they could donate cycles. I would definatly pick up a second XONE if this was supported.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base