Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

Use natural language for voice commands with Cortana

Perhaps related to the Cortana item, but having to constantly know what the screen elements are to control the UI using voice is cumbersome.

I should be able to say:

'Xbox continue watching The Lego Move' and it will ideally load the last app known to watch the 'The Lego Movie' and then have it play and if it doesn't know which app, then ask which app and then load and start playing automatically.

I would actually be fine with even having to say ...

'Xbox goto Xbox Video'
and then
'Xbox continue watching the The Lego Move'

... since that is a lot better than having to go to say 'Collection' and then say 'The Lego Movie' (or next page, 'more movies' and then the movie name) and then saying 'play'/'resume'.

[Mod edit: Title changed from "Use natural language for voice control instead of mapping to screen elements."]

27 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Talvish shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AraWarlords commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

xbox one should support NL voice command or should use english voice command with nl interface or nl store

• An Unknown Kiwi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same concept with what Apple is doing in El Cap with Spotlight search, where using natural contextual language making it so much easier for consumers to get what they want done more quickly. Cortana having similar functionality using voice would be the real deal, this would make the experience so fluid and straightforward. Even if we got to set custom hotwords, that would still be a nice addition. Also with Windows 10, Setting Cortana to only listen to YOU on Xbox. That would improve my experience!

• BeOn Truzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature will be made possible when the W10 update arrives (with cortana)

• Federmania87 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Natural language support is absolutely needed. I don't know how many times I didn't sue the exact phrase and couldn't get to where I wanted to go. I get frustrated that I can't say things like:
    - "Xbox, play <some game>" - I can't seem to remember that I need to say "go to" instead of "play"
    - "Xbox, scan QR code" or "Xbox, redeem code" - I think I'm supposed to say "use a code"?
    - "Xbox, off" - my girlfriend struggles with this; she always tries "Xbox turn on" and "Xbox off". The commands aren't symmetrical and it confuses her.

• Wotans Erben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, i think its a long way to have superior recognition of the context.

I don't have any knowledge of the internals or the theoretical science, but you certainly have to approach the problem from different directions.

I think you need to identify every UI Element that should be controllable as the top layer. So you can simply controle every UI element by voice, because local power will not meet the need for natural recognition.

As a second layer you can offload the voice commands to a server that could process your natural language and tries to match with your current UI to make the right decision.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base