Cortana & Kinect

Here you can find ideas and feature requests for the Kinect sensor. This forum is for any features or requests regarding how Kinect works, using Kinect to sign in, voice commands, or gaming experiences with the Kinect Sensor.

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Cortana & Kinect forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Turn off Kinect sensor with a voice command

"Xbox, turn off Kinect." Turn off Kinect sensor with a voice command.

411 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cortana play games with us

Imagine saying "Cortana, would you like to play a game?" And she responds, "Yes, what would you like to play?" Some games, like racing or fighting games, should have a "ghost" mode in which we could play against Cortana.

411 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use Kinect voice commands to set alarms

"Xbox set alarm for 9pm", "Xbox set timer for 10 minutes". The Xbox One is the center of the home. We use our phones for little timers, it would be helpful if the xbox could provide the same functionality.

Audio and Visual alarm/timers.

403 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let us take pictures using kinect

Please allow us to take pictures using kinetic and have an app to view in a slide show in the photo gallery. My kinect is in my living room and it would be nice if I could say xbox take picture and have it stored in the gallery. Same with video.

398 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Kinect Star Wars for Xbox One

Apparently I am in the minority when it comes to Kinect Star Wars as I loved the idea of training as a Jedi and actually using "realistic" moves...not to mention the great cardio and leg workout I got playing. However, Is there an upgraded Kinect Star Wars on the table for Xbox One? Are you planning on revamping Kinect Star Wars based on the new Star Wars 7: The Force Unleashed movie?

389 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. All Kinect 1.0 games playable on Kinect 2.0

This would increase usage and value of kinect. Kinect lacks software. Make all original kinect games available for kinect 2.0 users.

384 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set your own activation phrase for Cortana

Saying "Hey Cortana" every time I want to give a voice command can be awkward and at times annoying. Given the Cortana app's voice recognition software is advanced enough to understand simple sentences and even dictate messages for you, there should be a feature allowing users to set their own activation phrase (i.e. "Cortana" "Xbox" "Robot" "You there" etc) so as to make giving voice commands easier for each specific user.

376 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow the Kinect to record your reaction/in-game audio during a game clip!

How cool would it be when you get an amazing head shot or an awesome goal in FIFA to capture your own reaction to the moment after you say "Xbox, Record that!" ? I can recall many times when i have gone to replay a clip and found myself wishing that i could have captured the whole moment such as the funny things that were said or the surprise look on my face after a crazy moment! The interface for this could be something twitch-esq where the Kinect goes into a dual capture type mode and there is just a…

364 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Xbox, Record Room" should record last 30 seconds of your living room

Imagine having a video of your reaction to a game. Or you have a funny moment in your living room and want to record it. Or you come up with that great idea and want to get recorded so you don't forget. Or someone tries to talk to you while playing, you can record it for when you stop playing. "XBox Record Room" would solve all this.

352 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Whatever happened to scanning in 3D items?

examples- apparel (<loss of money in avatar marketplace?), toy guns, hoola hoop, catcher's mit, matchbox cars, dolls/figurines, cards, guitars, etc.

Kinects scans the items in 3D to scale in the game and interacts with the game somehow. Example- Avatar is now wearing gloves the respective user actually owns.

I heard about this and then it never happened? Thoughts?

344 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Cortana Reads Out Earned Achievements

When you earn an achievement the Kinect , could be used to give you a brief description of what you did , alongside the the name of the achievement , with cortana ( with the official voice actor )

343 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Have Cortana help you with games and cheer you on when you get Achievements

Since halo cortana has helped the Master chief deal with alot. The Covanant and the flood. Now she is a personal assistant on the Game console that is the grandson of the console that made her famous. Personal assistant s on game consoles should do more than, invite friends or give you appointment alerts. When you say hey Cortana I need help? She can search for game stratagies or a games developer can give her hints to tell a player on a game they are playing. Also every time you unlock an achievement on live she can cheer you on…

336 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. An integrated voice command that allows me to yell "Xbox, pizza" and have it order and pay from a saved pizza profile

Allow an app that let's me choose a pizza restaurant, make an order, request pick-up or delivery, and pay with a saved credit card. Then allow me to save past orders as favorites so when I say "XBOX PIZZA!" it immediately summons a hot delicious pizza!

331 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cortana calls us by nicknames

A large amount of nicknames should be updated monthly that Cortana can pronounce. It should be a list of names in the options we can choose from.

327 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 312 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Kinect should control more IR. Have it automate my home.

Kinect is an IR blaster. Use it for more than just the tv. I have remote control lights, let kinect control them. It could be used to cintrol my heating etc too. Let kinect automate my home

[Mod edit: This idea was merged with similar posts from Mcfly2571 and SiLeNt ScOpE 10. Thanks, everyone!]

307 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. EA GameFace using Kinect

EA GameFace works pretty well with the new UFC game, but it is inconvenient to have to use a webcam to scan your face especially if you already have a Kinect. The Rainbow Six Vegas series allowed you to use the Xbox Vision Camera to scan your face, and this feature should be used in other games with Kinect in mind.

300 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. "Hey, Cortana" for questions, "Xbox..." for controls

Keep the existing "Xbox..." commands for quick system controls (vol up, pause, etc.) and let "Hey, Cortana..." be primarily for questions ("what game is X playing," reminders, etc.). However, there is no reason why Cortana could not do both. As it stands, however, Cortana takes WAAAAYYYY too long to process commands like "vol down" which, in general, are commands you want to execute immediately. "Xbox..." commands work much better in these scenarios since they are not trying to process natural language.

295 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Have Xbox say "I love you, too" when you say "Xbox, I love you"

It would be nice to hear it back when I say it to my Xbox One.

285 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Kinect to Home Button power off menu

When you hold down the home button you have the option to turn off controller or console. Can you add in the option to turn off Kinect ? I like Kinect but I don't always want it on and it would be convenient to be able to turn it off simply rather than filtering though the settings.

277 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Cortana & Kinect

Feedback and Knowledge Base