Cortana & Kinect

Here you can find ideas and feature requests for the Kinect sensor. This forum is for any features or requests regarding how Kinect works, using Kinect to sign in, voice commands, or gaming experiences with the Kinect Sensor.

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Cortana & Kinect forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. When our Xbox One is on, and the Kinect recognizes us or we sign in, it says "Hi (Our Name)"

When we turn our XBOX ONE on and sign in, at the bottom of the screen it says "Hi (Our Name)". Can y'all upgrade that by putting: "Good Morning (Our Name)", "Good Afternoon (Our Name)", "Good Evening (Our Name)"...But I don't know what it should say when it's late and we sign in, maybe y'all can think of something funny when it's late. But this will make a GREAT upgrade.

990 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Give the Xbox one version of cortana a visual component aside from just the voice.

I think I speak for all the halo fans or even xbox owners (hopefully that will be reflected in the votes for this particular idea) that we would like the full experience with Cortana and, not just the voice. Hopefully you guys can reserve a corner for her maybe have it adjustable and of course give those of us who prefer no visual representation the ability to turn it off. Thanks, let me know what you guys think.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea from Swirly Kalen. Thanks Everyone!]

947 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Let Cortana notify the player when there is an update avalible.

Cortana should be able to notify the player of when there is an update for Xbox One or any game that we own. This way the player can stay up to date with all the new features on their console and games.

932 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. IllumiRoom - make it happen!!

Remember that amazing tech demo make it real. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IllumiRoom

895 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Disable Kinect mic for games, but enable for apps (Skype)

Would love to disable Kinect mic for game chat, but want it enabled for Skype. Would be nice if it was an in-game/app setting instead of global. At least if not per game, give two global options, one for games and one for apps.

826 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make a new Kinect Sports that has the sports of Xbox 360 Kinect Sports

Make new Kinect Sports that have the sports of XBOX 360 Kinect sports like Golf, Skiing, Darts, Boxing, Track and Field etc.
    It would be lovely to have these games and I assure you that they will be bestsellers

777 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Re-enable Kinect Presence for NXOE

Since the removal of gesture control from the NXOE dashboard the Kinect is no longer detecting room "presence." For example, remaining idle on the home screen, pausing a video, or playing a title from something like Jackbox where there is no controller interaction will dim the screen and ultimately shutdown the Xbox. Previously, the Kinect would detect the user presence in the room and keep the device active. Don't have to bring back gestures (they rarely worked anyway), but can presence be returned?

691 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dim volume when "Xbox" voice command detected

Sometimes kinect doesn't recognise voice commands correctly when the volume is up. It will be nice to automatically dim the volume temporarily once the "xbox" voice command is detected. That way the rest of the command will be recognized fine.

668 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Cortana should let us know when our controller is about to die

Cortana should announce what percentage of battery is left in our controller and maybe an estimated amount of time left before it needs to charge.

575 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Xbox, Swap" to Swap the Main and Snapped Apps

We need an "Xbox, Swap" voice command that instantly swaps the main app with the currently snapped app. For example, of you are watching TV in the main window while Skype is snapped, you can say "Xbox, swap" and TV and Skype will flip-flop positions (i.e. TV will go to the snap positon and Skype will go to the main position).

If the app in the main windows isn't snappable, that's okay. Still suspend it in snap mode so that we can easily "swap" it back to the main window when we want to.

558 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Saying "Xbox on" also turns on the controller

It's daft that you can turn on the Xbox by using your voice but you still have to hit the button on the controller. You may as well just hit the button as it turns on the console as well.

542 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "Xbox, call 911!"

Imagine:

You are home alone. Maybe you just got out of the shower. You walk into your living room. And there is an intruder. You don't have your phone in your hand. What do you do?

WHAT IF... you could look at your intruder and say "Xbox, call 911" and then, without asking if you are sure, it DOES!

And THEN-- the handy dandy kinect can go ahead and start recording what is happening. You can start describing your assailant. You can position yourself so the kinect can get a good view of the guy (or gal). Your kinect can…

533 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Xbox, Lock" locks power and eject buttons

I've recently had children, a boy who has just turned 1 and a 6 week old girl.
    I used to have my xbox and tv (linked up) and with the use of kinetic turn on and off my tv. Very useful when feeding babies and the remote has been hidden.
    As my 1 year old has become more mobile he's obsessed with turning my xbox off and on because of the light and jingle sound effect. This has become so frustrating I've had to pretty much unplug my xbox and have the tv separate.

My idea is a voice command…

498 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Custom Voice Commands For Kinect

You should be able to customize the voice commands Xbox already has to ways you feel more comfortable speaking. For example instead of saying "Xbox on" You should be able to customize the kinnect to turn the xbox on by saying "Xbox load up" or "Xbox start your engine" or maybe "Xbox prepare for titanfall". Overall point being, able to customize commands would make your xbox feel more unique and special. This customization should also be for all commands not just starting the xbox up. Another example would be instead of saying "xbox go to netflix" You could say "xbox…

491 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Xbox Invite To, Send, and Join "Nickname".

I rarely call my friends by their actual Gamertags especially when it consists of numbers and awkward letter arrangements.

Let's say I called three of my friends "Brandon", "Zach", "Urban". I would like to be able to say the following:

Xbox invite Brandon to party.
    Xbox invite Brandon to game.
    Xbox join party Zach.
    Xbox join game Zach.
    Xbox message Urban.

Etc...

Nicknames cannot have numbers and would be only a single word.

Post suggestions!

478 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 471 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Xbox, spell" for text entry

Faster than a controller, one more undisputed benefit of kinect to add to the list and a real improvement to the everyday user experience for kinect owners. Who's with me?

468 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow us to says "Start Update" via the Kinect when updates pop up.

I sit down, Say "Xbox Sign in as Tom", then just about to say "Xbox goto TV" and it pops up with "Its' time to Update", but for some reason you cant use kinect commands on this screen? So I then have to hunt for my controller.

Please allow us to says "Start Update"

460 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 444 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Console verbally greets you at power-up

Would be great if Xbox One announce owner's name when console power-up like 'Welcome Sir' etc.. That will be totally cool..!

[Mod edit: Title changed from "Announcement When Console Power-Up."]

428 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Cortana & Kinect

Feedback and Knowledge Base