Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

Get rid of the "Hey" in "Hey, Cortana"

Why four syllables? Shaving off that extra, "Hey," will allow for a better user experience. Saying "hey" all the time would drive you mad if you do it many times throughout the years. It's all about the optimizations and improving user interactions. This should apply to Xbox, Windows, and the phone.

1,235 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hokky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OneFastJedi88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already have trouble with Cortana thinking I'm prompting it through normal conversation at times when what I said doesn't even sound close to "Hey Cortana" so no, removing a required recognition syllable would make that even worse, plus what about people discussing the Halo character, or the Cortana system in general? That'd be even more annoying.

• mrfusiononcar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sure it seems like a great idea, but you could be triggering it even when you don't want to when addressing Cortana in conversation rather than giving it commands hence the reason for saying hey Cortana. We ran into issues like that when ppl would just say Xbox on or having a conversation about Xbox the prompt would always come on and would listen for a command.

• Captain Hippo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this, especially as Amazon's Alexa shows just how stupid the extra word really is.

• RitzyBiscuit7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cortana is also kind of sluggish.
    I use Cortana on my Windows 10 Mobile phone and sometime my PC and it has to think.
    It was sad that it does the same slowness on my Xbox also.

• Twisted SyCo 2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with AIR IK BREATHES the speed needs improving before when saying 'XBOX PAUSE' it was a lot quicker

• SightlessKombat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, I get where you're coming from. Hey Cortana's alright, but if you have an option where you just say Cortana as an alternative, you're giving people more choice as to how they work with their experience. Sounds relatively reasonable I'd say.

• NiCkDee24 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Don't get the ''hey'' part... i mean, that's like forcing us to say ''hello'' everytime we want it to do something which can get irritating when you just want to pause something. Lol.

• alertspartan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Hey Cortana" is ridiculous. Its cool until you say it more than a few times, or you want to do something ESSENTIAL WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING LIKE RECORD A CLIP FFS! Xbox On used to be nice and simple, but now its a corny "Hey Cortana Turn On/Xbox On" ...... need I say more? I love the voice commands, but why can't we have a choice to say Xbox??? I liked it better.

• Assassin I019 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well if it was just "Cortana", a lot of people would be getting unwanted voice prompts while playing or talking about Halo

• adamblack93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel "Hey Cortana" is much better than just "Cortana". There were many cases when I was having conversations with my friends in party chat and said the word "Xbox" (for example, "I've set up my 360 to pass through the Xbox One") and the Kinect would pick that up and think I was talking to the Xbox. It would pick up the rest of the conversation and get confused because it wasn't a command. I do also talk about Cortana from time to time (like "Cortana doesn't seem to like my thick Scottish accent") and it doesn't think I'm talking to it because I'm not saying "Hey" before it. I think that's much better.

• Tristin S J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*Sarcastically* Oh yes. Having to say "Hey" is soooo cumbersome and soooo annoying. After all it's a single syllable word. It's too much work for me to say two tiny words.

• Internet Expert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I do is scream swears at the Xbox, usually if I lose a match or the game crashes.

I don't think we should talk to our Xboxes in the first place. They probably wouldn't like talking to us anyway.

• Xyillia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure the "Hey" was added to prevent people from accidentally grab Cortana by just saying "Cortana"

Not having to say "Hey Xbox" was annoying because if I was talking about Xbox then I would grab the Xbox attention all the time

← Previous 1 3 4

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base