Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

Use Facial Recognition to set online status to "Away" if user leaves the room

After a certain amount of time (say, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. User-defined perhaps) the Kinect would know that no one is currently in front of the console, and would change the user's online status to "Away." Xbox would take all of the notifications during that time (invites, messages, etc.) and display them once the user is in front of the Kinect again.

3,757 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scottaveus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SalariedHalo415 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My name is Ryan I was broke and in Dept and never knew how to get to pay off my dept because I was sacked from my place of work and was also drove away from my house because I have known money to pay my bills any more. And a friend of mine gave me an email of a loan lender and I emailed him he promised to provide me with any amount I needed I gave him my details.i told him I needed the loan to pay off my dept and start up a very good business. And he gave me the money I asked of him with a very low interest rate today I am able to buy a new house for my self and live a life I always imagined. You too can also be rich or pay of Dept like me his email guarantytrustloans1@gmail.com
    For those that really need help and need it urgently

• DIPDIP0TAT0CH1P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more, I am sat at work, my kids at school and my wife is at work, but all the family is still logged into the Xbox downloading a game, and we all left hours ago.
    Would be nice to have a logout after N minutes of no activity, or an idle time available.
    Its quick enough to recognize you entering the room, but not when you haven't been in the room for the last hour.

• Bob YAMADA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting idea. It would be good if we can vary the amount of time or turn off this option.

• The Glovner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely some valid points on this thread.

It's only a small annoyance. But when I settle down after the kids are in bed only to be told I can't play something because my 5 year old son (who has been sleeping for the past hour in his bed) is still logged in and it's above his age restriction.

• Tecstar70 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a more intelligent Kinect sign-in altogether? For example I am only shown as playing if I have picked up a controller. I have turned off sign-in via Kinect because if I just walk past I get signed in. I dont want this to happen, so provide more Kinect options to customise how and when you are signed in via Kinect, Setting you as "Away" could be part of these options.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251617-kinect/suggestions/6575644-add-an-option-for-kinect-to-auto-sign-in-only-on-c

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251617-kinect/suggestions/6052538-sign-in-user-as-watching-rather-than-playing-i

• sa5qua7ch01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that is a good idea there needs to be stuff like that to make it were more people will want to buy the kinect.

• Ablyn02 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is a great idea and i think microsoft would be idiotic not to use such a good idea that includes Kinect for once! :-D

• Osiris Prime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure they could have it so if you are of sight of the Kinect but playing a game the system should realize this and keep you signed in since there is activity on the system.

• PsykoRobot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To those that do not use the Kinect or cover up the cameras there would need to have an option to turn off this feature. In the Kinect or login settings have a boolean setting like "Set Status to Away when Leaving Room". When this option is enabled you then can set a time value that the Xbox adheres to changing your status For example, from a dropdown there would be values like, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 20 minutes. I think having "immediately" or 1 minute (possibly even 2 minutes) value would cause to many issues of false positives. The value should be large enough to imply that person is gone for now.

The only issue I suspect is the system now must know if the Xbox or a person set their status to "Away" because if person set their own status to away I am assuming they would be annoyed when they come back their status changed to "available". However, if the Xbox did the status change because of this "Auto" option their status should reverted back to "Available" when they walk back into the room.

e.g.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base