Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

Ability to Turn Off Gestures

The xbox one needs an option to turn off gesture controls separately from the kinect. I have a small child and when I'm using the xbox she sometimes activates the gesture controls while playing. I still want to use voice controls so turning off the kinect is not a good enough option.

1,575 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DarkAbyssKeeper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Starship42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to turn off gestures had I been given the option to gesture at all. I sympathize with other Kinect users who are disappointed to find, after having purchased a Kinect, that gestures are no longer functional. At least provide the option of a turn off/on gestures. That way, Kinect users who love using gestures, and those who don't, can enjoy their Kinect experience THEIR way. Best of both worlds. You might actually sell more Kinects. I bought my Xbox One S, and Kinect, and Kinect adaptor under the assumption that the Kinect I had been reading about would have full functionality. Choice is good. Thanks for your time.

• SuperFurrySam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if they could give us the option to use the kinect microphone whilst having the camera completely disabled.

I'd like to be able to use the voice commands/voice chat without wearing a headset but don't want the camera on.

• Player013374605 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft.....you are bunch of stupid morons!!!!
    Listen to the users you idiots!!! I'll never buy another Microsoft product

• Wheeler32Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ordered a new Xbox One plus Kinect for Christmas, unboxed it to find out the Kinect is now just an expensive microphone and camera set - no hand controls?

You have been marketing the Kinect as the 'rich' experience ... only to remove the features that sold a lot of us on it. We as your customers paid for this item expecting a certain feature set but you removed crucial parts of that feature set.

The thought from your customers had been to enable/disable the hand controls during games or apps to eliminate mistakes - not remove it!

• NuyoRicanGirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't get rid of Hand Gestures Bring it BACK!!!!! Just let people disable it if they don't want to use it.

• OO7 JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gestures work terribly, and seem to have a mind of their own, doing things when you have no intention of interacting at all! Please fix this one major interface issue.

• UnanimousCow243 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please sort this out and disable them. Half the times I take a drink from a glass it kicks off a completely undesired gesture and can ruin watching all sorts of content.

• Drk Angel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE for the love of sanity give us the option to completely turn gestures off but keep voice commands on. My dog is NOT my hand. My dog should not be controlling my xbox. Hand gestures are AWKWARD, USELESS, INTRUSIVE, and it SLOWS functionality. It's much faster to use the controller or voice. Hand gestures are just an annoying gimmick that makes the Xbox experience worse and NOT user friendly. It gets in the way FAR more often than it is helpful. I don't find gestures useful or helpful at all. Gestures are EXTREMELY IRRITATING!

• Lou the Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, seriously. This needs to be done - and now, with the Windows 10 preview, apparently, the ability to disable Gestures while watching videos has been removed. Gestures themselves are fine, it's the fact that the Kinect is constantly reading things as Gestures that aren't.

... I want to fly off the handle and leave an expletive-filled tirade. Instead, I'll simply say that this is stupid. It would be easy for them to add this function. That it hasn't been done is evidence of the idea that the people in charge have better things to do than provide a pleasant user experience. I'd be happy for them to prove me wrong, but the fact that this has been an issue since June of last year (let alone since the release of Gestures) makes me think that isn't going to happen.

I hate the fact that I have to sit still while I am watching a movie, for fear of pausing or something. Horrible user experience, and I cannot believe that you, Microsoft/Xbox, have not given us the ability to avoid this kind of hassle while using your product. And no, turning off the Kinect entirely is not an acceptable solution; the voice controls work just fine.

• Too many carbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over a year later and this still isn't an option? Everyone please complain more, Microsoft doesn't care yet.

• HHA AbetaTester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know there is a "turn off during video" option but it is, at best, inaffective. Sometimes they still activate, regardless of my video watching. And mostly they just get irritating. Move your phone around from one side of your body to the other, kinect things you are using you hand to pause a show. Move your hand to scratch you face, kinect thinks you are using a gesture to minimize your game. No! No effective. Less than helpful. Please give me an option to turn them off completely.

• Wolfjohn GR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nobody uses the Kinect gesture controls to navigate the dashboard since the gamepad or voice controls are much faster and easier, but it always mistakenly activates and is very frustrating when watching a video. I would pull the Kinect plug all together but I use the voice controls. please make an option to disable gesture controls for navigating the menus and\or watching video

• mikelim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, the Kinect setup requires that you have a large enough space for the Kinect cameras to be able to work with motions and gestures. I happen to have my Xbox One in my home office. The space is not big and I cannot currently set up Kinect at all since this is the very first thing the Kinect setup requires.

From a personal preference standpoint, I only really need Kinect for voice recognition and to use the cameras for Skype or for broadcasting over Twitch. None of those activities require motion or gesture control.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that the Kinect setup be tweaked to allow motion/gesture recognition to be made optional for people who don't use that, but still want to use voice control and the camera.

• Nojness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My partners face is recognised as a hand. Seriously. Thats not even a masturbation joke.

• mikelim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my Xbox One in a small space that also doubles as my home office. I can't get Kinect to work since the setup requires a large enough space for it to be able to work with motions and gestures.

Personally, I don't need or want to use motion or gesture control. I want to be able to use my Kinect for voice commands and also as a camera when I use Skype or broadcast on Twitch.

I suggest that you make the motion/gesture control setup portion optional when setting up Kinect for people who don't wish to use motion or gesture control.

• DENAz666 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just an FYI all, you can turn off gestures while watching videos, but its only for Videos

Go to settings
    Go to Kinect
    Tick the box "Turn off Gestures while watching video"

Won't solve all the problems, but is handy when watching a movie :)

• FONZIE2107 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seriously can't believe this hasnt been fixed yet.
    Its a pain in the *** to say the least. I can't watch a youtube video with my feet up, or it ends up thinking my feet are gesturing.

← Previous 1 3 4

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base