Cortana & Kinect

Here you can find ideas and feature requests for the Kinect sensor. This forum is for any features or requests regarding how Kinect works, using Kinect to sign in, voice commands, or gaming experiences with the Kinect Sensor.

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Cortana & Kinect forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Find ideas for desired voice commands and other Kinect suggestions here

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. "Xbox, find controller" command

Add a "Xbox find controller" command so your controller would start vibrating. Would save a lot of people a lot of trouble!

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by JohnnyBoy716. Thanks everyone!]

5,804 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

112 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Say "Thank you" to have the Xbox stop listening

The phrase stop listening works, but a more natural extension of voice would be "Thank you". Not that the current command needs to be removed, but here in our household we find ourselves saying "thank you... ugh, stop listening".

Thanks so much. :)

4,883 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Xbox, Turn Off" prompts users with "Yes," "No" and "Reboot"

I know that it sounds lazy, but it would be nice to be able to do a hard reset from the couch.
    "Xbox Turn Off" -> "Reboot"
    Would perform a hard reset, then you could turn the console back on with the controller.

4,636 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to eject the disc that is in the tray using Kinect by saying "Xbox, eject".

Being able to use the Kinect to eject the disc which is in the Xbox Disc Tray. This could easily be done by saying "Xbox, eject", and would be a very helpful feature on the Xbox One.

4,618 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use Facial Recognition to set online status to "Away" if user leaves the room

After a certain amount of time (say, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. User-defined perhaps) the Kinect would know that no one is currently in front of the console, and would change the user's online status to "Away." Xbox would take all of the notifications during that time (invites, messages, etc.) and display them once the user is in front of the Kinect again.

3,760 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Backward compatibility for Xbox 360 Kinect games, perhaps many of these games would perform better using the Xbox One Kinect

1 frustrating thing with kinect games on the Xbox 360 is the Xbox 360 kinect. Put simply causing unnecessary game difficulty due to bad tracking.

From personal experience, I find that the Xbox One Kinect is much better and i would love to go back and play the xbox 360 games that gave me so many issues and play them using a better sensor, the xbox one Kinect!

[Mod Edit: Now that backward compatability has been announced, this idea has been merged with similar ideas from BDad09, LinieFolie08 and others. Thanks everyone!]

3,650 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

296 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Saying "Again" will repeat the last said command

Kind of useful when you are tired of saying "Xbox volume up/down" several times until you reach what you want or "Xbox go back".

Make it available while it is listening after a command.

2,309 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a "Then" command to Kinect

Let me chain commands for it, like "Xbox, go to Titanfall, then snap TV"

2,212 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Keep Hand Gestures Active on Xbox One Dashboard

Keep hand gestures please so that we can keep the complete functionality of kinect and so it doesn't take away choice. You promised that with kinect you feel the full experience of the Xbox one which would differentiate from other consoles . so prove it and listen to kinect users for a change

2,118 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

356 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Choose the Voice for Cortana

With Cortana coming soon with the new xbox one experience, it would have been great to choose from a list of voices.
    My choice goes to the voice of Lara Croft and maybe some female gamers prefer some male voice too.

2,007 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please don't remove the 'Xbox On' and 'Xbox Turn Off' commands

In the new Cortana update, 'Xbox On' has become 'hey Cortana, turn on my Xbox'. And 'Xbox Turn Off' has become 'hey Cortana, turn off my Xbox'. It's just cumbersome and less reliable, please let us use the original commands for convenience sake!

Maybe even give us the choice as to wether we want to refer to our Xbox as 'Xbox' or 'Cortana' to avoid accidentally triggering the voice assistant on our PCs or windows phones that also have her!

1,703 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

145 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Create Character In Your Likeness With Kinect

I think it's time to take created characters to the next level. Using the kinect, we should have the option to take scans of our face and bodies to use in games. This is a feature that can be used in any game that allows the player to create a character. Maybe make it so you can save the image or multiple images to use in several games. It could be called J.U.I.C.E or Join Us In Creating Everyone.

1,698 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to Turn Off Gestures

The xbox one needs an option to turn off gesture controls separately from the kinect. I have a small child and when I'm using the xbox she sometimes activates the gesture controls while playing. I still want to use voice controls so turning off the kinect is not a good enough option.

1,575 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Kinect Extension Cable

An extension cable for Kinect would be awesome. My xbox isn't very close to my TV so I have to stretch the cable across the floor instead of being able to hide it with the rest of my cables.

1,500 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

349 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Xbox, Turn Off Controller" Voice Commands

Sometimes im eatin and watchin Netflix on my xbox one and can't reach for controller or my hands are greasy but I wanna turn my controller off so battery wont go dead.. I thinkwe should be able to say "xbox turn off controller" or just say "xbox turn off" and u can choose to turn system off or controller. . HANDS FREE

1,360 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to use the custom console name for voice commands instead of "Xbox"

It would be awesome if you could use the name you give your console for voice commands. So instead of "Xbox Record That" it could be "Steve Record That" or "STOP LISTENING, STEVE!"

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea posted by bahm and *HeresMyNuts. Thanks, everyone!]

1,346 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More games for kinect

They simply need to support the Kinect more. Not just the lame voice commands, but actual games like they had for 360. This accessory should be more than a glorified remote.

1,285 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Kinect  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The ability to say 'Xbox Appear Offline/Online'

Instead of having to go into Friends -> My Profile to appear offline or online It would be nice if we could just say 'Xbox Appear Offline' or Xbox Appear Online'.

1,267 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Cortana reads notifications

Sense I'm using my WP any new SMS I receive Cortana ( as I think) says you got new message , and if I open it, she read the message for me.

Will I hope Cortana came to the X-1, and any new messages or achievement unlock or received invite from friend or any thing else that could be read Cortana says it. In the end its better to hear it.

[Mod edit: Title changed from "better to hear it - Cortana read notifications on mobile."

1,242 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Get rid of the "Hey" in "Hey, Cortana"

Why four syllables? Shaving off that extra, "Hey," will allow for a better user experience. Saying "hey" all the time would drive you mad if you do it many times throughout the years. It's all about the optimizations and improving user interactions. This should apply to Xbox, Windows, and the phone.

1,235 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Cortana & Kinect

Feedback and Knowledge Base