Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Xbox One acts as DVR for TV and Apps

by the look of it i think DVR capability to the internal HDD or a USB external HDD would cater for new market.... c'mon please update this function

[Mod edit: This idea and its title have been updated to reflect that the desired feature would allow the Xbox One to act as a DVR, recording live TV as well as content from specific apps similar to the way in which TiVo functions.]

1,836 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

yogi g bearyogi g bear shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • LegoNinja187LegoNinja187 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have this feature added, however if it were to record to the internal HDD I would like to be able to manage how much storage is allocated to this feature, for example it might default to xGB but the user can change this in the settings somewhere to yGB to allow for a longer recording if you are going out and want to watch what is on at that time. Allowing the user to manage the allocated storage for recordings would also mean we can make more room for games and apps, the addition of being able to use a USB or external HDD would be great, no issues with storage space then. I would also like it if the recording was saved as a media file, so we can easily take it with us and watch on the way to work, or another device, even if it has to be a windows 10 device.

• NetPunk555NetPunk555 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was under the impression that my xbox one already acted as a DVR so I opted out of getting the DVR from my cable company. Then they hooked up my cable and I was instantly disapointed when I realized that it has absolutly no TV recording function at all. It doesn't even allow you to pause live TV unless your using the OTA TV Tuner. I can't believe this hasn't been done already. The
    xbox one was supposed to be my complete entertainment system but its lacking in several areas. Better watch out Alienware has their own gaming consel. Its a little bit pricy but it is easily upgradable and blows the xbox out of the water with hardware capability. Alienware Steam and it even runs windows 10 and uses the xbox one controller so its like getting an xbox but better since it also hooks up to the Oculus Rift VR which is by far the best VR system there is, its mind blowing. So when is Microsoft going to make a VR headset for Xbox? I was seriously filled with so much hope with all the possiblities for xbox one. LIke what ever happened to the abient gaming and video experience that used the Kinect and projector as an accessory to light up the entire room with game efffects to make it a completely emersive experience? I want it look like its snowing in my house and all the other cool features that I was so excited to have. But no it cant even do something as simple as be programed to record a show that I want to watch later, hell it cant even pause live TV for a few minutes so I can use the restroom. So sad :(

• TyranosoaresTyranosoares commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently have standard HD cable that runs through the XboxOne and it is fantastic as the Xbox one provides a guide that the HD box does not. It would be wonderful if the XboxOne could act as a DVR for recording shows and recent TV when available like DVR's work today. Window's Media Center had that capability however since removed this would be a HUGE bonus for the XboxOne that the PS4 does not offer. I really encourage Microsoft to consider this especially after many guests were impressed by the guide however, have asked if the Xbox is functioning as a DVR so they may look at setting it up as one as well.

• orKEStra1orKEStra1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DVR functionality would be a game changer. I'm not a huge gamer, and I mostly use the Xbox as a media center. I was disappointed to read that DVR functionality development was no longer happening since this was the one factor that I really wanted to be able to cable cut

• The ZeppelinThe Zeppelin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the Tuner to watch live TV. I really like the pause live TV function. The guide is great too. I would REALLY like a DVR recorder feature to record my favorite shows. I cancelled my cable, and wanted to use my Xbox OneLive TV and Netflix as my main sources of TV viewing.

• BlitheCub539735BlitheCub539735 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes a dvr on xboxone would be heavenly. Setting up & watching shows that I have had to miss on system plus playing games & up to 4k blue ray, will make it ultimate system in my opinion. Please add dvr

• BigBlueApeBigBlueApe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize that the original Xbox one with its basic overhead creates a DVR experience that isn't going to promote anything bit frustration. It would be best and just come clean about it. Open support to the newer faster iterations of the hardware. IF you guys incorporate a cablecard / Qam tuner you can single handedly CHANGE the dynamics of several industries and guarantee a decade of xbox live subscriptions to keep the service a la TiVo.

You create an advertising income opportunity and will be a white horse on the TV universe. I own a 360 and have no intention of buying a one over my ps4. I may reevaluate at Scorpio but there's no compelling reason to (no matter what focus groups say).

Make the break in this one instance with the old hardware and open your options to grow the newer xbox iterations to what you originally wanted it to be the media hub and Trojan horse to gain parity in product penetration with your competitors.

Go, fight, win your vision back or be relegated to a perennial number 2 or 3 depending on what the NX does.

• gnarlygeekgnarlygeek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also bought an XBOX ONE primarily for it's potential as a broad entertainment server. I'm not a big games player, but I'm developing an interest. As a long time corporate developer I've been interested in UWP apps for some time. I've also got 2 Windows 8.1 PC's that will NEVER be updated to Windows 10 until I have an OTA DVR capability on either Windows 10 or XBOX ONE. I have 3 other PC's running Windows 10, so this decision has nothing to do with being averse to Windows 10, but a total rejection of Microsoft's logic for discontinuing support for Windows Media Center - one of the most reliable OTA DVR's I have every encountered. Yes, other products work but seem to require extensive and constant tweaking, whereas WMC seems to work reliably on almost any hardware that support Windows 8.1 along with the excellent products made by SiliconDust. MS, deliver the OTA DVR for XBOX ONE, or at the very least provide more explicit status of this project's status to those of us that you can obviously tell are very interested.

• Lea KnightLea Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recording ability for the television through the XboxOne Console

It is easy for you to make it happen already

• SalariedBoat192SalariedBoat192 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I primarily want the Xbox One for its entertainment feature. What accessory would I have to buy, to View & Record any TV/Movie, 6 at a time, from another room? ***I do not want a device that must use the internet. *** The device must use dedicated preferred home intranet not Wi-Fi.
    Playing games in another room is optional. I just want to watch TV. /movies from another room, and to record for them also.

• LancelotXB360LancelotXB360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS, this would definitely increase XB1 sales and give you a huge advantage over the PS4 and make some of the people who are upset over the discontinuance of the Windows Media Center happy. Please make this a reality.

You're so close with One Guide and the Hauppauge OTR tuner....

• ALIAS 1aBALIAS 1aB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of today, Feb 16, 2016, you still cannot schedule recordings like a DVR for OTA broadcast using the Hauppauge tuner USB adapter. The option just does not exist in the Xbox One menus nor in the Smart glass app. I even contacted Microsoft and was told this option is not available at this time. Simple pause, forward, and rewind are a step up from directly connecting the OTA antenna to the TV but without actually being able to record a tv show to the Xbox One so you can watch it later is a major setback for people like me.

• DAWICKED1SDAWICKED1S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

since you already have apps like Sling Tv which doesn't have a DVR function to use my xbox one to record shows in this app would be amazing. This would also make it more likely people might use these apps. Bounce that off the Sling Tv people.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base