Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Dual USB TV Tuner Support (Xbox TV1 & TV2)

With the TV Tuner user base being greatly expanded so recently as the release of the device to US and Canadian users, the natural progression of expectations will no doubt be to allow individuals (along with their family members) to watch (on Live TV) whatever they want to watch, when they want to watch it!

When it comes to Live TV on the Xbox, we can currently achieve this with [dual source] support with one user being able to watch what is on the HDMI Source (as long as it's configured to use Cable or Satellite) while the other user watches what's on the USB TV Tuner (Configured for OTA/Freeview TV-UK).

However. coinciding with the desire to, 'Cut the Cord' users will likely still want to maintain the advanced ability to watch or even record more than one Live TV Show at a time.

Dual USB TV Tuner Support would make this a reality! Effectively providing us with Xbox TV1 and TV2. Possibly called upon with modifier Voice commands such as "Xbox Watch TV1", "Xbox Snap TV1" and/or "Xbox watch NBC on TV2" to essentially 'toggle' between the two.

Use case scenarios:

Mom wishes to watch the 5 O'clock news on Fox while pacifying the kids with Arthur on Channel 9 (Streaming over SmartGlass)

Or aspiring multi-talented Son watches the Voice (checking out his competition) on one Tuner, which the Xbox deems as TV1, while he also checks out the old school beauty Wonder Woman on MeTV (Snapped in on the second Tuner - again, respectively treated as TV2).

To achieve such advanced functionality we'd be possibly looking for either a single device with Dual Tuners and/or the ability to simply add a second tuner (perhaps using a USB hub expansion) and have the Xbox One configure and treat them as easily accessible independent TV’s (again, TV1 & TV2).

Dual Tuner support would also lay a tremendously strong foundation for future advanced features such as DVR recording up to two Live TV shows at once.

Ultimately however it is implemented in the hardware (a single USB device with Dual Tuners or by allowing us to simply attach a second Tuner stick), we need Dual Tuner support where the Xbox would handle the two sources as effectively as, (or better than) any other modern day Set Top Box or DVR!

545 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ancient Weapon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CombatBase RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current tuner is only capable of OTA, and not cable QAM. This is big drawback in case a cord cutter wishes to retain some channels, and should be supported.

• Cusford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please consider this!
    we should be able to purchase a dual tv tuner, or two single current tuner cards, and have this feature! this would be great for front room and games room/garage/kitchen etc viewing

• MrFAZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you would think MS would have some brains or at least someone in the company would use or want this feature I think its mental they went in with a single tuner in the first place. I still don't think dual tuners is enough I vote for quad !

• Liptid1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get Hauppauge or more vendors to create a Dual tuner or 4-tunner (USB 3) and updated xbox one to support multi recording time shift , multi channel recording and watching . This would be huge win for xbox one and DVR.

• andrewjelliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Xbox One Digital TV Tuner needs be able to watch TV while recording other channels. At the moment the current tuner only has one tuner making it pretty useless for DVR. There should be an Xbox One Digital TV Tuner 2 with multiple tuners for the UK/European market.

• Bertholemew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must and please be smart and just go straight to a quad. I have my DirecTV account on hold, with this, I'd never have to go back.

• Capolewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to see some dual or even quad-tuners released for the new DVR feature on the way. I hope this is already in the works.

• Captain Hippo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The news that Xbox will support TV DVR is fantastic but there's one key element missing - twin tuners. We need to be able to watch one show - with the full benefits of pause and rewind - while recording something on another channel, or record two programmes while watching something pre-recorded (or playing a game). Just look at all of the main DVRs (certainly in the UK) and they are all twin tuner.

This would really make Xbox One the complete home entertainment solution.

• KingChopperIII commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would vote for this but go further. Please allow this to be modular beyond 2 tuners. During peak times with 2 tuners I get clashes. Having 4 tuners allows me to pretty much never get clashes even during peak times.
    Please bring out a dual tuner but allow us to buy 2 and plug both in to get quad tuners!!

• Ancient Weapon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Dual Tuner support is added, the Xbox would then be ultimately handling three potential Live TV sources, i.e. Cable/Satellite (via HDMI IN), USB Tuner 1 and 2.

This scenario would ultimately allow the user the amazing ability to utilize/watch up to three hardware driven Live TV Sources at once [Xbox TV1, TV2 and TV3] alongside the Live TV apps like SlingTV (possibly operating [fully integrated] -> newly requested here https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251610-live-tv/suggestions/8250993-sling-tv-full-xbox-integration as TV4) and On Demand app sources!

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base