Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Better integration with HDMI IN and USB TV Tuner - Two sources supported

At the moment if you have a USB Freeview tuner plugged into your Xbox One and have Chromecast plugged into the HDMI IN port at the same time its a hassle to get it to switch between them both as they both use the same TV app. If multiple video sources were supported in some way then i would be able to run all my media through my Xbox and the only remote id need to have out would be my Xbox One media remote. At the moment its not convenient enough to have my Chromecast or USB TV tuner plugged in at the same time. Sadly.

146 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Dares shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • PeterSpillman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aggree with @RobbieWest -- with both hdmi input and usb antenna and both set up in settings, the hdmi option disappears from One Guid as you try to select it, and does not reappear until restart.

• RobbieWest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After each update of One Guide, the HDMI option disappears from One Guide. After first starting XB1 it appears but when you select it, it disappears and only the free tv channels (via USB) appear.

• GC360E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree on this, we need a more intuitive toggle

I cut the cord, open air TV for Super Bowl, etc. is enough for me. I just Pass-through AppleTV for more interesting content

Truth be told, I have an HDMI hub and channel everything through the XB1

It is inconvienient to manually toggle, especially given that the selling point for Cortana is to make accessing media content through Xbox more intuitive,

At the minimum a settings update, check a box..."Cortana, Go to HDMI" toggles the passthough independent of OneGuide, "Cortana, Watch TV" still functions and launches OneGuide (obstensively paired with the Haupauge tuner) as intended.

• fg I Bl4DEx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone who is still searching for this function:
    You can do it. And its very simple:
    If you have your TV-Tuner connected via USB and something different connected via HDMI IN (for me its my computer) then go to the TV App and open the list, where you can see all your channels. go to the bottom and there you can find HDMI-In or something similar :) if you have not set up your HDMI already then you have to set up it first. should be working for everybody

• IRB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah would really like this. Being able to use my Xbox TV tuner as well as the HDMI-IN.

• Obi Wan BG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a seperate app for the hdmi passthrough and usb/tv tuner. Having to browse through channels to get to hdmi source takes to long and lags. Maybe having seperate apps could be of help

• LRoca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow to switch between tv tuner (USB) and whatever you have on the HDMI. because if the TV tuner is hooked on a USB the HDMI becomes unresponsive.

• kashman07 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allowing user to connect a device through the HDMI input as well as using the TV tuner from Hauppage. Currently, the TV app only choses one of these inputs and not both. An update that would allow the user to chose which input the user wants to watch on would allow all devices to be hooked up through the Xbox and not having to use a receiver or TV to do the switching. This would truly make the Xbox One a cable cutters dream.

• Hurlamania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's a pain right now. I have my TiVo on hdmi and a usb tuner also if I want to watch say nbc xb1 will use hdmi to get it I want to record 2 shows on TiVo hdmi and watch a 3rd on usb I have to open one guide and scroll down hundreds of channels to get to the usb channels
    a separate usb tuner app would be cool

• IrishmanEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea would work well adding a new voice command isnt a big deal.. I use a hdmi switch into my xbox and always wanted this and a custom IR blaster to control the switch

• jMALUSO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have a Kinect and most likely won't get one so the "Xbox watch HDMI" doesn't really apply. But being able to switch video sources easily from my Apple TV that is plugged into the HDMI IN port and the new Hauppauge OTA TV tuner using SmartGlass would be a really slick feature.

• Wattsy XI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just say "Xbox watch HDMI" and it will take you straight to your Chromecast channel.

• EvilBoris GX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this already. You can even set up 2 EPG's if you are using 2 sources with their own channels.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base