Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Use the d-pad to adjust the TV volume

The new mini-guide is a great addition. But there are still two buttons not being used on the d-pad: left and right. Instead of just letting these waste away, allow them to change the volume by increments of 1.

Saying "xbox, volume up/down" is great. But it doesn't work for granular adjustments. I have it set to change my tv volume by 7 levels. This isn't always the adjustment I want, so being able to change the volume by a lesser amount would be great!

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea from SirPoopyPants. Thanks everyone!]

1,174 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Im Frende shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • leDrum247 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would think with the huge interface update that rolled in a few weeks ago, this feature would have been included... As a software developer myself, I can't understand why you this hasn't been address IN THE LAST 3 YEARS. Sure, maybe it wasn't initially a priority. But 3 years and 1000 votes later, I think this should've at least gotten some confirmation.

• babaldwin93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is interesting to note that this would be difficult in gameplay, seeing as some games would have the D-Pad as a command. I would suggest using the bumpers above the triggers in the Xbox One Menu. You already use it to interact with the Xbox during gameplay, apps, etc. When I opened up the menu, the D-Pad, triggers, even A,B,X,Y buttons had commands. Yet the bumpers were just waiting to control the volume.

• OTA SeaPanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know my previous comment isn't, strictly speaking, the solution you are asking microsoft for, but it works for me and i no longer have to shout at cortana in the middle of the night while folks are asleep.

• OTA SeaPanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok guys. Use your chatpad, or get yourself a chatpad. Go to Settings > Kinect & Devices > Devices & accessories > "username"
    on the right side of the screen you will see the chatpad accessory listed. You can proceed to assign functions to the X1 and X2 keys on the chatpad. Two of the potential functions are volume up and volume down. Needless to say, you need to have your tv's ir codes set up correctly or control via hdmi. Enjoy your xbox and have fun.

• LegoNinja187 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another great idea, this would be great for those who do not have a kinect or would like another option for tv volume control, reduces the amount of remotes/controllers that are needed to get the most out of the Xbox One.

• CyberPauli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this great idea!
    Controlling the volume with the controller while watching tv is a missing feature.

• Zorcalin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to share my speakers with other devices, but the optical out is very loud compared to everything else. If I could turn the volume down for the Xbox I could smooth everything out. Snapable or otherwise this needs to happen

• SquiffyEnd84237 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, what the heck? Is this happening or no? In the very least please give us a definitive answer on this. Will we be able to control volume through the Kinect using the standard XB1 controller? (not voice, not media remote) If yes, awesome, thank you!! If no, why? You market your system as a media hub yet do not provide the ability to control volume with your standard controller? It's clear there are buttons available, is this really all about selling media remotes?

Thank you preemptively for your response.

• Merton V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When not using the headset, the stereo headset adapter volume buttons could do this...

Press volume up, kinect sends the volume up signal...
    Press mic mute and mute TVs volume

• TheBanker12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be wonderful. I don't want to have a separate remote just for volume or yell at the Kinect.

However, my unfortunate thought is that the answer we would be given is, "Well, just buy this amazing Media Remote!"

• sicthegamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Xbox One Media Remote solves this issue, but I'm not a fan of having to force people to buy yet another accessory just to be able to do this-- why not be able to use what you already have?

• Smber2c commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so obvious that I can hardly believe they haven't added this already. The Kinect volume control is terrible; it's slow, awkward and noisy. The smart glass means I have to grab my phone, launch an app and sign in when I'm already holding a controller. Get this done please.

• KillingTime82 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a great idea - rather than have to talk to kinect, please let us adjust volume via controller (d-pad would be ideal)

• KornShaDoW0977 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While viewing tv, the controller controls everything... With More than a single way to do the same thing.... Yet volume is absent. Add it in!

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base