Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Turn off cable box when not watching TV

My cable box turns on/off with my Xbox which is fine. But if I am playing games for 3 hours my cable box sits there eating energy. Can't the cable box turn on/off as the watch TV function is used?

228 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

u2jrmw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Franek2358 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to bound the decoder on/off signals to opening and closing the OneGude app instead the console itself. There is no point in keeping the decoder running while playing games.

• robxb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Microsoft, if I choose not to have OneGuide/TV open when I turn on my Xbox One, it shouldn't need to power on my cable box! This is a terrible use of energy. Once I launch the app, then yes, turn it on! If I close the app, then power off the cable box.

• tnt monty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've asked for this feature in the Xbox forums, and was asked to post it here, which I did, but this post is getting more hits :). I don't have the Xbox turn on my TV box at start up because I mainly play games. When I do watch TV I have to find the remote to turn it on though, but the Xbox could do that for me. It should be an option of course, and it could also turn it off if the app has been shut for a while.

• TlvvFf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That function already exists
    Try to configure this in TV setting of your XBOX
    You just need the HEX code of your cable's IR Remote (NEC protocol)

• Madhattre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might want to look at the settings in your cable box. I have a sleep mode function that will shut my cable box off automatically after 4, 8, or 12 hours on inactivity.

• Crackalak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be a setting on your cable box, my box has a power save setting which after 3 hrs it does actually turn off

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base