Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Create a DVR app to Control Existing DVR

The app could be simply called DVR and have all of the shows stored on your home DVR in the app so that you could access them. That way you could also have commands like "XBOX, watch The Backlist on DVR". Assuming you already have recorded the backlist onto your DVR. This app would also be great so that you can just use the controller/voice for accessing your recorded DVR shows instead of having to pull out a remote when you are already using the controller/voice for everything else.

[MOD edit: This idea has been merged with a similar idea posted by chardeman. Thanks everyone!]

1,952 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

QuackGnat87814 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the cable "passthrough" and One Guide, this seems like a no brainer (or even just a DVR app that uses the Xbox One and attached hard drives as a DVR).

• Ace9ofSpades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome if you could open smartglass and have the option to set your DVR to record a show when not at home or on the same wifi network as your Xbox. Would be great to be able to record a show I may have forgot about while at work

• xLGxHuckleberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have always had my DVR running through Xbox, but because I can't access my on demand or DVR record or recorded library, I have had to still use my cables controller. Resulting in not getting to use Xbox guide or app selection. Just saying

• GameSlayer GS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand not having some sort of ability to read the DVR contents of an attached DVR, there's a lot. But how about letting us use the Xbox One as a sort of universal remote, with buttons on a Smartglass device and voice commands for some of the buttons...
    'Xbox, show me my recordings' presses the DVR button on the virtual remote.
    'Xbox, down, right, right' presses the virtual down, then right, then right again buttons.
    'Xbox, select, select' presses the select button twice (perhaps customizable to a specific command like 'Play') which selects the recording, then selects the initially highlighted option on the menu that opens, which on my Dish Hopper, is Start Over or Resume, depending on if the recording was previously played. Then the 'Xbox, Pause, rewind, play, fast forward' commands act as normal, though I'll admit that I'm fond of the thirty seconds skip ahead and ten seconds skip back (customizable times) buttons to skip through commercials.

• sythlord66 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I don't understand about the storage is what is the storage on DVRs from DirectTv or Charter it's not a TB or greater

• Undertakecare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One reason of (DRM'ed) streaming is that the user are NOT able to record it and spread pirated copies on the internet. However, DVR can only record up to 5 minutes. Does not make sense.

• JayhawkerStL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would look into how Tivo now impllentfts One Passes, which lets you merge your DVR library with links to watch shows through whatever streaming media apps you have. From my Blacklist folder, I can watch an episode I just recorded, or an episode from season one by clicking a link that opens Netflix and starts that episode.

And let me use a 2 TB external drive as the DVR. I would sell my Tivo in an instant. In fact, buy Tivo, and sell Xbox Tivos that link to Xbox One apps and simple XBLA games.

• SPOOKY1001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about DVR and supported for a Silicon Dust / Ceton InfiniTV type device. Come on it just software :-) I could dump my cable box if this came true!

• Knightmare Fuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that we have official support coming for OTA TV in the US and Canada let's keep it going and have full DVR of the OTA content! I don't care if you have to encrypt the data. Having the option to record content to external hard drives is a given here I imagine. Again thanks for OTA TV in the US and Canada!

• Fopadop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Likewise when in the TV app, you should be able to program the Xbox to send commands to your DVR that correspond to presses on the Xbox remote or gamepad, e.g. so that the directional keys and OK send like commands to the DVR when you are running the TV app.

• Light Wizard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good, but why not make the One a DVR itself! Allow over the air digital, cable digital (OCUR/CableCard), multiple tuners for recording multiple channels at once, record TO NAS/File Shares/Directly attached storage. Provide great scheduling capability with priorities, resolution defaults (HD or SD or prefer HD, etc). Basically provide full Tivo/Media Center capability. That would be killer for the XBox One. Take THAT, Sony!

• WudanBal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DVR functionality would be great, even if it required an external hard drive. Also show notifications/subsriptions in OneGuide.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base