Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Xbox One DVR functionality with Digital TV Tuner

Record in One guide

[Mod Edit: Description Below was added from a similar idea created by Master Domy85]

Please, complete the TV experience on Xbox One with a DVR app that can record TV shows, in real time or scheduled keeping Xbox One in stand-by state. This step will finally make the Xbox TV really useful.
I hope this will be possible at least with the new Digital TV Tuner and its free contents over the air. I'm an italian user and I don't know if this is possible in US with cable TV.
Would be great if Xbox could record TV on an external NTFS hard disc in a common format (MPG2/MP4/etc) in order to watch such recordings on other devices too.
Would be also great if Xbox could stream recorded shows to Smartglass even when Xbox is in stand-by state!

Thanks guys!

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas from RAVENarmageddon, Nach0Man14, Tezcatlipoca, and others. Thanks everyone!]

[Mod Edit: As a reminder, ideas with "Team Xbox Reply" status can still be voted on. Thanks everyone!]

6,281 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Milesy007 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Team Xbox Reply  ·  AdminTeam Xbox (Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

We’ve decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10. We’re always listening to fan feedback and we look forward to bringing more requested experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live this year. – Team Xbox

1221 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JibbersHCrabst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So can this be revisited? I would love my Xbox One X to replace all of my home theater devices like my DVR/BR/HTPC... It has all the capabilities, just needs the software.

• Tappara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our DVR box just broke down. I remembered Microsoft promising to bring DVR into Xbox One and I realized I "have to" give my Xbox One to wife and go buy Xbox One X for myself. But then noticed MS has cancelled DVR. I'm a gamer, but there is nothing wrong if the box is doing other stuff too! Now I can't have Xbox One X because I have to go buy stupid DVR box costing about the same.

• SWarnberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is ridiculous! How can they say that they must invest more in "more requested experiences", when this is one of the most voted one on uservoice?
    It's apparent that they are killing the "best entertainment system" and just focus on gamers. There will be no DVR, no Miracast and no Cortana for non-English/French/German languages.
    My old, and very tired, Windows 7 MCE is still living. I was hoping to be able to retire it this year, but apparently it will live for much longer.

• Braintrust411 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ending 2017 and STILL Microsoft is NOT listening or SEEING what their BASE are saying.
    Funny how they PROMISED and said " XBOX ONE WILL BE THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM YOU COULD EVER BUY" ....... YET...... They decided to SCREW us by not offering the one thing that makes that BIG BOAST have a leg to stand on.

Dear Microsoft..... YOU CAN NOT state that you are MORE THAN A GAMING SYSTEM and not offer the FINAL STEP to offering the ENTERTAINMENT portion of your system.

• necothahound commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I watch TV through my xbox one, One Guide has a great UI, with dvr feature for FTA tv it would just be perfect, make it happen MS you know we want it, we know you got it! just add it!

• tovuori80 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this Xbox would be best media console out there. Please MS make this happen with dual tuner USB or more tuners if possible.

With this Xbox would be best media console out there. Please MS make this happen with dual tuner USB or more tuners if possible.

• GnarledMarrow33 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I guess two more things. Google has added bare bones OTA TV DVR functionality to Android TV (Nvidia Shield TV, I'm not sure about others). They also have where other sources can be added to the guide, internet sources. You should very much consider it if you ever add the DVR functionality to the XBox One.

One more thing, people are very interested in this functionality. Tablo is getting big. They started selling a tuner, the Hauppauge WinTV DualHD, with an app for the Nvidia Shield TV. Plex has added DVR functionality. Plex recently added time shifting and added the DVR for Apple TV. Apple TV has the Channels app which has DVR functionality. MS would by far have the best OTA TV DVR with the XBox One. Please reconsider.

Hi,

I wasn't happy to find out MS canceled the promised OTA TV DVR functionality for the XBox One. You canceled Windows Media Center for Windows PCs. I hope you would reconsider this. I would like one box in my living room. Right now, MS doesn't get any money from me. I have a Mac and Linux PC. I would love to throw money at you for an XBox One that I could play 4K Blurays on, stream movies and watch/record TV. I'd be willing to pay a yearly fee for guide info. One thing, it would need to work with a Silicon Dust tv tuner. The Hauppauge TV sticks picture quality are not that good. Please reconsider.

Thanks

Why only OTA DVR feature. Who the hell is using antennas nowadays. But the cable or IPTV features to Xbox one and allow dualtuner devices to record from oneguide to external HDD or PVR devices.

Dual tuner DVR box support to record tv shows from one guide. If this wont happen I never buy any microsoft products. This is a very disappointing when its year 2017 and xbox media capabilites are as poor as 90's mediacenter devices. What the F**k Microsoft.

• SolubleCargo79 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THis is ridiculous that they put this on the shelf. To me this is a HUGE selling point. There are a ton of people looking to CUT THE CORD, and would like a DVR, unfortunately, DVR's such as TEVO Cost 150+ dollars Plus a subscription.

I think Xbox One could entice a new group who would never consider getting an XBOX ONE if it was not only a 4K Blue Ray player but also a stand along DVR. To me that would be huge and would have compelled me to buy one sooner.

The TV APP is useless without the ability to record OTA programming.

• Salvo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen Microsoft & Xbox!!! I'm tired of being ripped off by Comcast.

• AnthH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it seems Microsoft don't read the msg's. Still waiting for my refund Microsoft! you have my Gamer Tag and my email addy. Get in touch!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 61 62

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base