Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Change channel by speaking number

Be nice to be able to say xbox turn to channel 7-2-0 As it is right now I cannot change the channel to Extra innings package, Center Ice package or NFL Sunday Ticket package because the channels are all listed as NFL-(channel number) same with other league sports packages.

1,673 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Linkstorinks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ItsGottaBeKB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If someone started working on this 2 1/2 years ago, I'm sure it would have been implemented by now.

• IRB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like such an easy thing to have missed, but a great feature to add.

• BobDaCannibal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And custom channel names wouldn't go wrong. (Seriously, E would have its name changed to "*expletive* nobody in their right mind watches in this house or anywhere" because of the number of times I've said "Xbox: Watch ..." and it changes to E before I can get "...Discovery" or "...HBO" or "... CNN" or anything else *but* E. (And if you really love us, you'd let us *remove* or at least *reprioritize* channels that we're "likely" to be asking for, simply to cut down on misidentification. That's obvious, isn't it: Our explicit teaching should take priority over what you "think" we want?)

And having to use the broadcast call letters (K/W (Three to four letters)) for local channels rather just "ABC", "CBS", "NBC", "Fox" is sometimes unreliable and a massive pain to those of us who have satellite dishes that receive ABC LA/NYC feeds in our channel list. (but don't actually have the ability to access, nor do anyone that lives outside of those locales give a rip *what* they're showing anyway.)

• robxb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love for this to happen. The day I got my Xbox One, one of the first things I tried saying was "watch channel ##" and it didn't work.

• casualcomputing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG I spent almost 2 hours with Microsoft Online Support looking for exactly this. PLEASE Microsoft add this feature! I wasted hours with your tech support looking for this. Time is money!

• sicthegamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to have happened already! In my local area, OneGuide lists way too many long channel names and I have to say the whole thing in order for Kinect to recognize the command and change it. If I could just say "Xbox, watch channel 52" and it does so, that'd be amazing.

• KING EOFICELAND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh god yes add this feature. im tired of saying xbox turn to tbs and instead it goes to tbsHD. If i can say a number that would fix

• GrampaBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. To many channel names sound the same and sometimes I just know my local channels by their numbers.

• goobot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Too many channels have similar sounding names and I don't the the names of all the networks but do know the channel numbers.

• Waff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely on my wish list. Hire the guys from Amazon Echo. She understands me 95% of the time.

• Pinstriper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can i see the full name of the channel as listed so i know what i need to call it for the voice to work.
    in the guide i only see the logos of the channels.

• Curt McGirt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's stupid that this is missing. Fox Sports Southwest is listed in my OneGuide as "Fox Sports Southwest HDTV 24/7 (Main)."

So I seriously have to articulate "xbox watch Fox Sports Southwest HDTV twenty four seven main" in its entirety, instead of just "watch channel 676."

my local CBS affiliate channel shows up in the OneGuide as the call letters KTVT, so 'xbox watch cbs' doesn't tune to that channel, even when it doesn't misinterpret 'cbs' as 'tbs'.

• Dylanthalus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missing numbers on the media remote. Kind of a big fail on this. You can make easier but you can't change how people prefer to interact with their tv. Some people like channel numbers.

• TomC1960 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes it's easier to say the channel number, than trying to remember theTV network's official name.

• Zartan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An on screen keypad to enter channel numbers with the media remote or controller would be nice as well.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base