Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

CableCard Support

Support for CableCard devices such as the HDHomerun Prime or Ceton infinitv.

474 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fedaykin42 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Xbox One designed to me a "media hub" or whatever they want to call it, support like this and some sort of DVR functionality would be nice.

• JetBloom4378935 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, over two years since this request?? How hard can this be... They already have experience supporting cablecard in WMC...

• DashingBear236 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is support for the HDhomerun prime. Well it is kind of out. Silicondust made an app for the HDhomerun prime. What you need to do though is to have the recordings go to another device PC and sign up for DVR Subscription first year is $60 after $30. The DRM channels don't work yet for recording, but they are working on that. The only complaint I have is the guide; I am hoping they will integrate oneguide to this and also have the Xbox One be able to record instead of using another device like a PC. However, it's a step in the right direction

• acrakes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know the DVR feature is on the back-burner, but some of us do love being able to watch cable TV through the XBO. At the very least, something like that Hauppage USB tuner, but with a CableCard slot built in, would be perfect. Coax -> CableCard -> USB -> Xbox One or Coax -> CableCard -> HDMI -> Xbox One.

If it's relatively small and doesn't need its own power supply, I'd pay up to 100 dollars for something like that.

• RGS Future RF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Cablecard support is a must. Given the Xbox's HDMI passthrough capability, and the cheaper cost of a cablecard vs. the bulky and usual expence of a set top box, it is a logical step to make.

• Khoa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Microsoft took out Windows Media Center on Windows 10, the only program that I can use to watch CableCard (especially Copy Once channels, I'm looking at you TWC...), having Xbox One support CableCard tuners makes sense.

There aren't that many CableCard tuners out there, MS already partnered up with Hauppauge, why not take it a step further?

• Figuerres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While cable card is not the future it is here now and will be for years to come, for Xbox one to be a first class media hub for users it needs to support users who do not want cable company boxes.

• ThawingElm85475 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But really - they NEED a fully integrated solution that gets all channels and then create ondemand apps for each of the providers to use separately that can be activated in the guide (or logitech harmony remote, etc)... I think this would be the biggest thing they could do to take the lead over playstation and not let up.

• ThawingElm85475 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best solution - Microsoft branded 4 tuner cablecard supported 'external' device that allows full TiVO like recording/storage onto local or external USB drives (no internal storage on device).

I'd be happy with a dumb tuner that only has a USB and HDMI out that connects to the xbox for HDMI passthrough.

Although I hear there are changes in cable technologies and cablecard might be replaced... If true, then this probably is not a good option for a company to invest in certification right now.

• Raoul Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

USB CableCard tuners would be a good idea, I'd love to use my XBOne instead of Verizon's crapboxes.

• Daddio6708 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone noticed that the MediaPlayer App on the Xbox One can see the HD HomeRun tuners on your home network as DLNA devices? If you go to the SiliconeDust website you can download the latest version of the software that lets you do things like set it so your Xbox only sees your favorite channels. For me (on FIOS), it shows the paid-for encrypted channels just fine. The latestest SiliconeDust software update works with their current Over-the-Air tuners too, so that would help the "Cable Cutters" as well. If you have a Windows Media Center PC (with DLNA capability and folders set to SHARE on the network) your Xbox One can also see and play the shows and movies that your Windows Media Center recorded. The playback features of MediaPlayer are crude compared to Windows Media Center, but it comes close to making the Xbox One into a sort-of WMC Extender. I don't understand why this isn't being talked up more. So, it seems to me that the tuner problem is taken care of by SiliconDust. All we need Microsoft to do is bring the Windows Media Center Channel Guide capability into the Xbox One and the DVR functionality too and we'd have what we need. They could do it very easily, but I predict they won't do it since they see dollar signs in the Apple model of selling individual TV shows and movies.That is the real reason that WMC will not be available even for a high price as an App in Windows 10. As technical consumers it's our own fault for not promoting the merits of Windows Media Center to our friends and family more convincingly.

• tr3boRTC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide CableCard support... I've been using Ceton with Media Center for years and it would be great to have it also supported on the Xbox One!!

• AzureBinkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is taken on, I would like to suggest that the "support" that is implemented take into account that the HDHomeRun devices have more than one tuner in them, and the fact you could have 100 of the devices on your LAN.

i.e. please support multiple, as in dozens, of OTA tuners and allow recording/watching of shows on MORE THAN ONE AT THE SAME TIME.

Please & thank you.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base