Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Bring the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner to the US

Love the new Digital TV Tuner just announced for the UK & Europe, but what about those in the US who don't use a cable box or have cut the cord entirely? Thought about some of those other devices, but I want an official integrated device that just works. So please bring it to the US, thanks!

1,563 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AzBat360 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

283 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, I've recently also read that one of the reasons this device is not being offered stateside is because of some concerns by Comcast/TimeWarner about... well not being able to suck off enough money from the American consumer or some other claptrap.

I've also discovered it would be rather cost prohibitive to get one of these devices shipped to the US, and in fact, it may be downright impossible. The few resellers I've found will not ship to the US, either because they don't want to deal with the cost prohibitive shipping, or because it's illegal.

If it's illegal, even securing a UK remailer service would not help. There are several companies that will give you a UK address that you can order products to, then have that product shipped from there to your US address, but if the item won't make it through customs, it won't matter.

Ultimately, unless someone wants to take a trip across the pond and bring one back to test it, I think we may be out of luck until Microsoft decides to release the device here.

• mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a great idea. In fact, I was just speaking to someone at XBOX about this today. That individual agreed that many would benefit from this device, however previous market analysis determined that this device would not sell nearly as well in the US as most had set top boxes with HDMI out available.

Of course, they do listen, and have been monitoring this very thread, which is how I found out about it. My question to all of you, the users is have any of you tried the EU device yet on your US machine to see if it works?

The person at XBOX honestly did not know if the US XBOX ONE OS/firmware would detect the device properly or not. He believed that the OS/firmware may be the same across all devices, but could not be sure without further research.

So again, I ask you, the community:

- Have you tried one of these EU devices on a US console?
    - Did your XBOX ONE recognize the device?
    - If it worked, how well did it perform?

If this device that is currently being sold in the EU DOES WORK on US machines, the solution is quite simple, that they just start selling it here in the US too. Even if only sold online because of the limited market, I believe it is something that Microsoft would be willing to consider as long as they did not have to design a modified device or send out a massive update to US consoles.

So, anyone test this yet?

If not, I may just buy one on eBay and try my luck.

• leonv177 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are open that market in the PC. Several TV tuners are made and most are compatible with the Guide and the pause and record capabilities of the Media Center. You can download Windows Media Center and you have most of the capabilities the Xbox One TV tuner has. What is the problem to put something that your already do in the PC to Xbox. What is the difference? What is the restriction. You already has local TV Guide in almost any US States including Puerto Rico in the Windows Media Center. You already done basically all of the work needed to launch a TV tuner in the Xbox One. It is a good option for people who have no plan to have a cable system or satellite. It is a fact that many people do not like these systems and only use local air programming.

• CDezz69 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you use coax then get the adaptor. The Xbox one will need usb splitters and different attachments, easy to connet other devices, plus it's focus on keeping up with technology

• Big Jeff V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I guess my first comment didn't go through so let's try this again.

My reasoning would be for quality. I am a Comcast customer and I live in Philly. The antenna signal is great for all channels bunny ears works just fine. Or even the new flat antenna design works great. So getting a signal is easy. Question on why a Comcast customer wants OTA channels is like k said before "quality". Comcast compresses images to get more bang for their copper lines. That means lower quality for programming easily available OTA in my area in crisp uncompressed image quality. So when a football game is on I always switch to my flat antenna and watch it because the quality beats Comcast every time. Now the cord cutters have even more of an incentive, but I believe I present another perspective on why this should be brought to the USA. As soon as I heard it released not knowing in Europe only I was on the website at work in my iPhone trying to buy one immediately. This was the final thing that I could bring into the XBONE that would keep me behind the XBONE for all my content. I would never have to change inputs or leave the XBONE for anything. Sadly it was not available. I hope you guys have it on a chart somewhere of when it will roll out state side. This would be a great addition to what I believe is already the best system out there. There is more potential to this system and I hope it is fully unlocked.

• leonv177 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please bring it to us. Its a pain to change the HDMI to TV and turn of the XBox one to just watch tv. All of the capabilites of the TV content management of the Xbox one wasted because don't have a cable or sattelite system.

• iSki09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE release the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner to the US market! I have a cable box that uses coaxial cable and not HDMI and would love to utilize the Xbox One to its full abilities and not have to switch inputs on my TV as well as AV receiver every time I want to watch TV.

• Jedimoose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is supposed to be the "One" source for entertainment after all. I'd like to watch OTA broadcasts on my Xbox One. Bring the TV tuner to NA!

• AntacidMars1259 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just bought Xbox One for a family Christmas present, the tipping decision was based on the hope that antenna TV and DVR capabilities will be added soon.

• buddygoat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rural consumers with limited or no tv provider choices deserve a way to utilize the One's great features. Come on Microsoft.

• BradenGallucci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm starting to get the feeling that Microsoft does not read any of these comments shame on you Microsoft

• BradenGallucci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a reason there is no tv tuner on the American version of xbox one. We as the paying customers should at least know why this is. Is it maybe Microsoft is scared of Comcast? Or do u just have contracts with Comcast?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base