Find ideas to enhance the OneGuide or Live TV experiences on Xbox One

Bring the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner to the US

Love the new Digital TV Tuner just announced for the UK & Europe, but what about those in the US who don't use a cable box or have cut the cord entirely? Thought about some of those other devices, but I want an official integrated device that just works. So please bring it to the US, thanks!

1,563 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AzBat360 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • McHale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OTA TV functionality was promised at launch. I bought the Xbox One at launch expecting the OTA support to happen within a couple months. Here I am, STILL waiting for OTA TV. I cancelled Dish years ago and will never, EVER go back to satellite or cable.

Thanks for the broken promises Microsoft.

• RAMB0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree... I cut the cord long ago. And I'm not in Comcast territory, so if Blazen's comment is correct then why does this policy affect me? I've had an Xbox since before Xbox live went online (thus being able to procure my gamertag), but I held off on buying an XB One for over a year because it didn't have this functionality in it and the game base alone had me thinking about buying a PS4 instead. Eventually, I got it as a gift from my wife. Only reason I have an XB One now. However, if you'd had a digital tv tuner available in the US, I would have bought the XB One months ago, if not the first day it was released.

• Blazen the 503 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They will NOT be bring the over the air digital TV tuner to the USA due to contracts with Comcast that is a direct quote from MS so complain to Comcast or stop asking because it will NEVER HAPPEN

• BAMBOO YOU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would live to see this happen. In the mean time what I am doing to watch live OTA broadcasts on my xbox one here in the US is to leverage the xbox one's DLNA capability in media player. With an HDhomerun extend box hooked to my LAN the user can select and view the OTA broadcasts in media player. The HDHomerun shows up as a DLNA device on the menu. Have not figured out how to get one guide to display the guide info for ota yet though. I am using TV guides free app for my phone to see guide info at present. Just a tip I thought I would share.

• JonnyLumpkinsed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Count me in for buying a digital tuner immediately if released in the US as well.

I use my Xbox One in my theater room connected to a 1080P 3D Projector. Like most projectors it has no built in ATSC or other tuners. I do not subscribe to cable and instead use two antennas to pick up the main networks (ABC, PBS, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, and Univision) from my two nearest cities.

At present I still use a Korean made external ATSC tuner with component video outputs that I've had since 2009 as the only way to watch broadcast TV (such as NFL games) on my big screen (no HDMI so no 5.1 audio or ability to plug in to the HDMI in on the XBox). If this could be integrated into my Xbox One, and ideally use the internal HDD for timeshifting and recording, I would buy it tomorrow.

The Xbox One already has a great internal program guide for over the air stations and combined with the built in Blu-Ray player, apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the just announced SlingTV it would hold HDMI1 on my projector all the time and truly be my media/gaming hub.

I, and the other projector owners, would also love a Kinect extension cable so that I can place my Kinect in the front of the room and actually use it as intended (it currently sits behind me and is used for voice control only). Don't just design for the 'average' user with a 50" flat panel, sound bar, and cable box. Take care of us on the edges too and lead the way.

• mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spoke with xxd3srt3ag13xx. He did try one of these Euro DTV tuners here in the US. Before even being able to see if it would accept a US DTV signal, the console warned him that the tuner is not supported in his region, and asked him to change his region.

He was understandably unwilling to try this out of fear that it would cause issues for his XBOX LIVE account, and possibly alter the region settings for the optical drive, making his disc based media unreadable.

So bottom line, even if the tuner does accept a US DTV signal type (and I doubt it does) it wouldn't work anyway.

Again, for a few key reasons, I don't see Microsoft ever releasing the DTV tuner for the US market.

- Not enough market interest
    - Would *** off media companies Microsoft is trying to woo.

Let's face it. Unlike the UK for example, where a majority of homes watch OTA broadcast television, most homes in the US are hooked into satellite or cable television. Since most modern set top boxes already have HDMI out, the DTV device is redundant for most of the market. In other words, since they would have to manufacture a different device than they one they already sell for the Euro market, it's just not profitable for them to make one for the US.

Also, it's no secret that Microsoft is trying very hard to woo content providers over to the XBOX ONE. The HBO GO app release was a huge victory, and now with more apps coming, like Sling TV which will offer a cable TV like service through apps on XBOX ONE and other platforms for only $20/mo, it makes no sense for Microsoft to *** off these content providers by encouraging US subscribers to pull an OTA signal into their consoles.

Finally, there is one more factor that hasn't really been discussed.

The signal strength required for this device to work is higher than you might think. If you've ever used a DTV tuner card on your PC, you will know what I mean. Euro DTV Tuner users are already complaining that the device is not picking up channels they normally get easily on their TV's.

Basically, like the DTV tuner cards for PC's, this device likely needs a rather strong signal to work effectively. If your TV can display signal strengths for each channel, you may discover that while the picture looks fine, the signal you receive is not actually that strong.

That's fine for a straight coaxial connection to the TV. Processing that signal through a lossy DTV tuner though is another matter entirely.

When I thought the Euro device would work here, I held out some hope. Knowing now that it doesn't, I think we're all SOL. Bottom line, either keep watching your rabbit ear TV on your television, or subscribe to cable/sat/onlineDTV service.

• StealthBomber86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe even buy a DVR company that is already selling and use those patents, Tablo's product should cover the rights and patents you need. Partner with them?

Make one with an ATSC and NTSC tuner and just release it without the video streaming software. Sell it online from China if you have to.

Please!!! I need this now!!! This is such an awesome device. I have been waiting for something like this to complete my Xbox One and make it the media center I want it to be.

• siliconAnarchy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring it over! I need this in my life! Screw Comcast, Verizon, and time warner. Money grubbing scrubs!

• mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been researching this a bit further. Two other issues come up. One being the BNC connection. It's not a standard coaxial connection we see here in the states. The solution is easy enough, you would just have to purchase an adapter that would go from BNC to standard COAX.

The other problem is compatibility of digital signals. They are using a different digital signal format across the pond than we are here. This device may not be compatible with US digital signals.

In other words, It's likely not as simple as just taking one of these Euro devices and using it here in the US. Unless someone can prove me wrong by an actual usage test, I regret to inform all of you that we won't be seeing the Digital TV Tuner here in the US unless a third party manufacturer steps up to the plate, which is even less likely than Microsoft building a new one for the US market.

• fruman44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's quite clear that the only reason this has not been done is because the CTIA is strongly against it and has reached some sort of behind-the-scenes deal with Microsoft to prevent or delay this. Xbox One could just be the killer device that finally allows millions of people to cut the cord if it had direct OTA integration/tuning capabilities. Come on Microsoft, listen to the consumers, not the lobbyists!

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base