Describe new features or options for the Xbox Store.

Give the option of buying the games as digital codes in store. That way we can still benefit from any pre-order offers retailers are having.

Publishers and stores have retailer specific offers all the time. If i want to have a digital copy rather than disk, I am not disadvantaged by being forced to buy digital copies from the console only.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea posted by KoolAidMan3650. Thanks everyone!]

1,383 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

FarregFarreg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
OperativeOR10NOperativeOR10N shared a merged idea: Digital games at retail stores  ·   · 
Potty MonsterPotty Monster shared a merged idea: Digital Download from Retailer  ·   · 
BeastModeCowb0yBeastModeCowb0y shared a merged idea: Sell Full games digitally in retail stores, like a scratch off code to input like how gift cards are. Just make it a code for the full game.  ·   · 
AlphaArgonianAlphaArgonian shared a merged idea: Digital Codes in Retailers!  ·   · 
RDeachin33RDeachin33 shared a merged idea: allow digital games to be purchase through third-party retailers  ·   · 
BDalmsBDalms shared a merged idea: Purchase Codes for Digital Download in-store & Preorder  ·   · 
Smokesta BaconSmokesta Bacon shared a merged idea: Ability to buy digital copy of games from stores  ·   · 
monkeyCmunkyDOmonkeyCmunkyDO shared a merged idea: The ability to buy digital games from major retailers  ·   · 
GingerElvisGingerElvis shared a merged idea: Allow 3rd Party Digital Game Stores  ·   · 
wmuBR0NC0wmuBR0NC0 shared a merged idea: Allow brick and mortar retailers to sell digital download codes of games so we can get their deals for digital games.  ·   · 
MasterboxiMasterboxi shared a merged idea: Let other stores sell digital games (e.g. Amazon, GameStop) as download codes  ·   · 
BlinkFandangoIIBlinkFandangoII shared a merged idea: Allow Retailers to Sell Digital Games  ·   · 
RazorDRazorD shared a merged idea: Sell digital copies of games at retail (retail packaged QR codes)  ·   · 

63 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NuklearRaverNuklearRaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft loses control over pricing if they allow others to digital games. I think that is why they've been maintaining a monopoly on digital Xbox game sales. If they let Amazon, Gamefly, etc do it, they have to compete with them on price.Why buy from the Microsoft marketplace if Gamefly has the same digital download game for 20% less?

Beyond that, they want to be able to politely suggest game related items such as wall papers, theme, avatar items, etc based on what you bought from them,

• xDamnYouSalazarxDamnYouSalazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the Microsoft Store promotions working through the Xbox One digital store? Right now the Xbox Rewards program gives 15K points ($15) in credits for all pre-orders done through the Microsoft Store. It would be better if I could just make the purchase on my Xbox One via the digital store and enjoy the benefits all the same. It's ridiculous that I should miss out on these promotions because I prefer to buy digitally. I should be more rewarded for buying digitally as (1) saves a great deal on your overhead like shipping and (2) lower production costs, no case, disc, manuals, etc (3) no brick & mortar retailer cut (4) no MSRB price adjustments and refunds on stagnant inventory (5) none of that supposed (destroyed copies) from retailers who get refunds on remaining inventory who don't destroy it and end up selling it on Amazon/eBay (6) one less copy circulating around as used game sales (7) increase confidence and reinforcement of a strong digital marketplace... I mean do I really need to spell out the benefits of stronger digital marketplace, and how overlooking those that are trying to pioneer a good experience are going to come out with sour experiences because they're being overlooked by these promotions. It shouldn't be a fight to say we deserve the same promotions on the digital store as we could get physically at the Microsoft Store.

• SILVER HAWK 001SILVER HAWK 001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you start handing out download codes you going to need to get bigger hard drives no way will 1tb be enough

• Superr SlayanSuperr Slayan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the Microsoft store needs to offer download codes for full games like halo 5, black ops 3, just cause 3, battlefront, tomb raider. they need download codes for all games. I only pre order digital games

• steelunderwaresteelunderware commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide this option for Halo 5 legendary and collectors edition. I want the advantages of digital and also the physical tangible box and contents

• SnicksSnicks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need a full digital retail purchase option. It's not enough to just buy the digital code. I want the full boxed option, just instead of a disk, you get a code. That way you get to walk away from the store with a nicely boxed version of your game and include and limited edition content (like statues, books etc) to be included within the package. I guess the advantage we are looking for is the disk-less option that was ripped away from us because of all the complainers pre-XB1 launch

• Jaffa Cake KingJaffa Cake King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's about time digital games were available to buy from regular stores.

Trying to go all digital this gen but the inflated prices on the Xbox store is making it very difficult.

• diezel78diezel78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should start putting digital codes in retail boxes for those who like to collect, collectors editions of game cases, and such.

Imagine Halo 5, digital code, bundled with retail Collectors Box, that way they get tall the perks of physical copies, without having to bother with disc...

• diezel78diezel78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sitting here at work, kind keeping busy and kinda not...

I hopped on Twitter and asked Phil Spencer will we ever see a buy 2 digital get 1 free like we see at retail stores...

Then something hit me; Microsoft & Sony should have digital voucher program.

------------------------------------------
    Example.

Pre-Order (or released title) 1 digital game. It stays at $60

2-game Voucher $110 (normally $120 (plus tax if applicable) It lets you redeem 2 games. Rather it's a released title or pre-order

3-game Voucher $150 (Normally $180 (plus tax if applicable) Lets you redeem 3 games for that calendar year. Rather game is released or not.

4-Game Voucher $180 (buy 3 get 1 free)... Same as above applies

Vouchers are eligible for "Gifting"

'If one of the games redeemed is a pre-order, and the game is pushed back into the next year, we (consumers) would be allowed to keep the game or roll it over to a different title.

The Sucky part would be, that Sony & Microsoft will of course have to have their terms and conditions such as:

No refunds on Voucher(s) purchased
    Voucher(s) can't be redeemed for cash

Sure there would have to be tweaks with the above..

I think it could be a win for gamers and the platform holder...

• THE ICE SNIPERTHE ICE SNIPER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a way to sell you unused download cards in a safe way. I suggest to enter the code through Microsoft, then when the code is confirmed you can choose to sell the game for credit instead of downloading it. I bought a Xbox one and it came with two download cards, I do not want them so I tried to trade them in but not store will take the cards. there needs to be an, alternative if the cards are being sold in stores.

• Mr H Cave ManMr H Cave Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

more digital codes availability with retailers, especially online retailers like Amazon; PS4 has a lot and xbox one only has a few available this way

• LyzyrdLyzyrd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having physical cards is a good for retail outlets, but online marketplaces (microsoftstore.com, amazon, gamestop.com, etc) should be able to sell codes for ANY XBox One game, including pre-orders, so that we can qualify for pre-order bonuses and discounts that typically occur for pre-release titles. Amazon used to do this with XBox Live Arcade titles long ago. Not sure why that stopped.

• Potty MonsterPotty Monster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need all games to be available as digital code in store not just smaller games. This will keep the shops happy (they get the sales, less shelf space required, reduced delivery costs...etc), customers get to take advantage of competitive pricing and offers, plus customers get the advantages digital downloads bring. Everyone's a winner.......well, other than MS who might loose out on some digital sales. Hhhmmmm. But hey, if MS is really listening to customer these days then they will do whats right for the customer yeah? :)

Seriously though, this is a good start. i just hope it expands to full games soon.

• kingJam3s916kingJam3s916 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

they just started release Xbox one digital game codes for stores. so this idea has already been made. max - the curse of brotherhood is the first Xbox one title to buy with a digital code purchase.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base